Liberty finished the regular season with an 8-4 record, dropping the final three games of the year. Plenty of questions remain for how the next few weeks will play out for the Flames in terms of the coaching staff and the game plan. Here’s an updated look at where the Flames are being projected to play in a bowl game:
- Mark Schlabach (ESPN): New Mexico Bowl (Albuquerque) vs San Diego State (7-5, 5-3 Mountain West)
- Kyle Bonagura (ESPN): Myrtle Beach Bowl (Conway) vs Troy (10-2, 7-1 Sun Belt)
- Jerry Palm (CBS Sports): Camellia Bowl (Montgomery) vs Georgia Southern (6-6, 3-5 Sun Belt)
- Brad Crawford (247Sports): Myrtle Beach Bowl (Conway) vs Rice (5-7, 3-5 CUSA)
- Brett McMurphy (Action Network): Liberty not included in his bowl projections this week
- Steven Lassan (Athlon Sports): New Mexico Bowl (Albuquerque) vs Air Force (9-3, 5-3 Mountain West)
- College Sports Madness: Independence Bowl (Shreveport) vs Houston (7-5, 5-3 American)
- Oliver Hodgkinson (Pro Football Network): Camellia Bowl (Montgomery) vs Marshall (8-4, 5-3 Sun Belt)
- College Football News: Myrtle Beach Bowl (Conway) vs Georgia Southern (6-6, 3-5 Sun Belt)
- Richard Johnson (Sports Illustrated): Quick Lane Bowl (Detroit) vs Toledo (7-5, 5-3 MAC)
- Scott Dochterman and Stewart Mandel (The Athletic): Myrtle Beach Bowl (Conway) vs South Alabama (10-2, 7-1 Sun Belt)
- Bill Bender (Sporting News): Birmingham Bowl (Birmingham) vs Houston (7-5, 5-3 AAC)
- Erick Smith (USA Today): Quick Lane Bowl (Detroit) vs Ohio (9-3, 7-1 MAC)
The Flames finished the 2021 campaign with an 8-5 record and won a third straight bowl game with a convincing 56-20 win over Eastern Michigan in the Lending Tree Bowl. Liberty is just one of five FBS teams in the country who have won a bowl game each of the last three seasons, joining Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, and Louisiana.
In its third year of full FBS eligibility, Liberty earned a third straight bowl victory. The Flames, who also won the Cure Bowl in 2019 and 2020, join Appalachian State as the only teams to win bowl games in each of their first three years after transitioning to FBS from FCS.
Liberty is currently in the midst of a multi-year agreement with ESPN Events which could place the Flames in one of at least six bowl games: Boca Raton Bowl (FAU Stadium; Boca Raton, Fla.), Camellia Bowl (Cramton Bowl; Montgomery, Ala.), , Famous Idaho Potato Bowl (Albertsons Stadium; Boise, Idaho), Tropical Smoothie Cafe Frisco Bowl (Toyota Stadium; Frisco, Texas), Myrtle Beach Bowl (Brooks Stadium; Conway, S.C.) and New Mexico Bowl (Dreamstyle Stadium; Albuquerque, N.M.).