The Flames keep their winning streak alive with an 80-76 win at High Point. Here’s our thoughts:
- This is just getting ridiculous. Coach McKay’s squad was predicted to finish dead last in the Big South by a large margin, and they have now won 6 straight games and 8 out of their last 10. Liberty has crept up the Big South Standings, and are currently in 4th place, just 2 games out of 1st.
- Liberty won this game from a host of players, even with little production from John Dawson. Dawson finished the night with just 2 points on 1/4 shooting. He also had 5 turnovers and and 4 fouls. He did snag 6 rebounds. The Flames winning this game without Dawson being a main contributor is almost as unbelievable as the current winning streak, and it shows just how much this team has grown the past month.
- The Flames outscored High Point 41-15 in bench points. Reid, Fields, and Talbert all reached double figures.
- Anthony Fields was sensational tonight. It had to be his best game as a Flame to this point. The senior guard finished with 14 points and 5 assists. He made critical plays down the stretch to help Liberty extend and hold onto the lead.
- Cabbil has become a huge weapon for the Flames when closing games out. The true freshman is one of the top free throw shooters in the Big South, and he was a perfect 6/6 from the charity stripe tonight with all 6 coming in the final seconds to help seal the win.
- Ryan Kemrite finished with 14 points and 5 rebounds. He had a key offensive rebound and putback to give Liberty the lead with 2 minutes to play, and then hit a 3-pointer with 1 minute left to put the Flames up by 6.
- KenPom gave the Flames just a 14% chance of winning the game.
- It’s Liberty’s first 6 game win streak since November-December 2006.
- Liberty now has a week off until their next game when they travel to Farmville to face Longwood. The Flames have never won at Willett Hall.