Here are a few quick hit notes following Liberty’s 38-21 win over Syracuse:
- This marks Liberty’s first ever win over an ACC opponent. The Flames had lost their previous 8 games.
- Liberty starts a season 5-0 for the first time since 2008 when the Flames started 6-0. This is only the third time in school history Liberty has begun a season 5-0.
- The Flames have now won 7th straight games dating back to last season. This is the longest win streak in program history since Liberty won a program record 11 straight from 2007-2008.
- Liberty’s run game was the story of the game. The Orange were unable to stop the Flames’ ground game all afternoon. Whether it was Peytton Pickett, Shedro Louis, or Malik Willis, Liberty ran all over the turf at the Carrier Dome. The Flames finished the game with 338 rushing yards on the afternoon.
- The first couple possessions of the game, it looked like Syracuse’s offense would have some success today. The Liberty defense had other ideas. The Flames were able to dominate throughout the afternoon.
- Shedro Louis had a career game as he ran to touchdown runs of 75 and 52 yards, both in the first half. The sophomore running back, typically Liberty’s third string back, finished the day with 170 rushing yards and 2 touchdowns on just 10 carries. Coming into the game, Louis had 23 carries for 140 yards and 1 touchdown in his Liberty career.
- Peytton Pickett would also top the 100 yard mark, finishing the day with 115 yards and 1 touchdown on 23 carries.
- Chris Megginson recorded his first career interception.
- Joshua Mack and CJ Yarbrough both did not play in the game. Mack was a late scratch as he was feeling a little under the weather, non-COVID related. Yarbrough has been fighting injuries throughout the season.
- Malik Willis had a solid performance as he finished the game 16 of 20 passing for 182 yards and 1 touchdown. He also added 58 yards and 1 touchdown on the ground.
- Shout out to Alex Barbir. He had some struggles early in the season, but he had a very good afternoon. Special teams coordinator Tanner Burns said this week that he just needed some time to work off some rust. Barbir was perfect on his 5 extra points and made his only field goal attempt.
- Give Hugh Freeze a lifetime contract, or whatever he wants, before the plane lands in Lynchburg.
- Liberty is supposed to host Southern Miss at Williams Stadium next Saturday with kickoff scheduled for 1 p.m. On Friday morning, the Golden Knights had its game against UTEP scheduled for today postponed due to an increase in COVID-19 cases on the Southern Miss roster. As of now, the Liberty Southern Miss game is still on, but that could change in the coming hours/days.
*photo courtesy Liberty Athletics