Liberty drops their 6th consecutive game, losing to VMI 77-70.
- Unlike most of their games during their losing streak, the Flames got out to a fast start against the Keydets. Coach Layer, trying to get his team going, inserted Joe Retic into the starting lineup for the first time this season. Retic replaced Davon Marshall in the starting lineup. It was Marshall’s first game as a Flame that he did not start. Liberty led 6-0 just 2 minutes into the game.
- Another rotation change Layer made, was taking Casey Roberts out of the rotation. Roberts, who had seen his playing time increase in the prior 6 games, only saw playing time in the final seconds of the first half.
- Antwan Burrus has reemerged as the Flames’ primary offensive threat. The 5th year senior scored 23 points on 11-of-19 shooting.
- Perhaps Liberty lost the game at the free throw line. Both teams attempted 17 free throws, but the Flames connected on just 6 while VMI made 15.
- Drew Smith finished with a solid line of 9 points and 9 rebounds, but he also had 5 turnovers and was just 1-of-6 from the free throw line.
- Marshall finished with 10 points in 22 minutes off the bench.
- The game was tied at 68 all with just 2 minutes to play, but the Flames again struggled down the stretch as VMI closed the game on a 9-2 run. Liberty shot 1-for-6 in the final 2 minutes including 2 missed layups. In contrast, the Keydets were 2-of-2 from the field and 7-of-8 from the charity stripe to close out the game.
- The Flames hit the road for the next 2 contests, Wednesday against High Point and Saturday against Campbell.