|Photo of JCS’ final shot attempt courtesy of ESPN
Liberty dropped a heartbreaker Tuesday night in the First Round of the 2013 NCAA Tournament to North Carolina A&T, 73-72. What we learned:
- The Flames drop to 0-3 all-time in the NCAA Tournament as the Aggies pick up their first ever NCAA Tournament victory.
- Davon Marshall become the school’s all-time leader in 3-pointers made in a single season with 107. He passed former Liberty guard Seth Curry’s mark of 102.
- Marshall also tied the school record for points scored in the NCAA Tournament with 22. David Dees also scored 22 points in 2004 against St. Joe’s.
- Marshall also set a Liberty NCAA Tournament mark with 3 pointers made (6).
- John Caleb Sanders became the 23rd member of the 1,000 point club at Liberty. Sanders currently sits at 1,013.
- JCS also set a program mark for most assists in a NCAA Tournament game with 9.
- During Liberty’s 4 game run through the Big South Tournament, the Flames were averaging 24.75 free throw attempts and 14.25 3-point field goal attempts per game. Tuesday night the Flames attempted just 18 free throws and 23 3-pointers. Liberty did not attack, but simply settled for the 3. This cost us the game.
- Bench points: NCAT – 21, Liberty – 1
- The Aggies were shooting 39.9% from the field on the season; they shot 52% against Liberty. Not to mention their 44.4% 3-point shooting.
- The Flames finish the season 15-21.
|Tavares Speaks walks off the court for the final time at Liberty, courtesy of ESPN