Flames fall to the Eagles, 74-58. Here’s our rapid reactions:
- LU got off to a good start, making their first 2 shots and forcing 4 Winthrop turnovers in the first few minutes as the Flames jumped out to a quick 5-0 lead. The Eagles quickly responded with an 11-0 run and never looked back.
- Liberty has now lost 9 straight games overall against Winthrop and 13 straight at Winthrop Coliseum.
- Winthrop used another run at the end of the first half to create separation. They outscored Liberty 8-0 to close half, Flames didn’t score in final 4:16 of the first half.
- Evan Maxwell had one of his best games since getting injured against UNC-Asheville a couple weeks ago. He finished with 8 points and was a perfect 2/2 from the field and 4/4 from the free throw line.
- John Dawson led the team with 15 points while shooting 6/13 from the floor. He also grabbed 5 boards.
- Caleb Homesley continues his solid play, finishing with 7 points and 7 boards. Lovell Cabbil had 8 points, 7 rebounds, and 3 assists.
- Every time Liberty attempted to make a run in the 2nd half, Winthrop responded. The Eagles shot 52% from the floor and 40% from 3.
- The Flames return to action Tuesday night in the Vines Center against Longwood.