2014 record: 12-2, 4-1 Big South, reached FCS Quarterfinals.
Coach: Joe Moglia, in his 4th season.
Starters returning: 8 on offense, 7 on defense.
Offensive system: Spread.
Defensive system: 4-2-5.
Three significant stats last year:
- The Chanticleers raced out to an 11-0 record and #1 national ranking last season before losing their season finale on November 23rd, 15-14, to Liberty.
- CCU scored 30 or more points in all of their 14 games in 2014 with the exception of one – Liberty.
- Coastal had a very explosive offense which ranked 13th in the country in scoring at 37.3 points per game. Their scoring defense was equally as impressive, also ranking 13th in the country allowing 19.6 points per game.
Key starters returning:
- 2014 Big South Football Offensive Player of the Year Alex Ross returns for his senior campaign. Last season, Ross was 271/422 for 3,389 yards, 20 touchdowns, and 7 interceptions. He also added 691 rushing yards and 9 rushing touchdowns.
- De’Angelo Henderson was named to the Big South First Team after leading the Chants in rushing with 1,534 yards and 20 touchdowns.
- Bruce Mapp led Coastal in receiving a season ago with 959 yards and 6 touchdowns on 71 receptions.
How does Coastal Carolina match up
They obviously matchup well with anybody in the Big South, evidenced by their consecutive FCS Quarterfinal appearances and 12 win seasons. With 15 starters returning, including all their playmakers on offense, its hard to see Coastal falling off any in 2015. Maybe the only question facing the huge matchup at the end of the season in Lynchburg is, will Coastal be the first ever #1 ranked team to play at Williams Stadium?