Liberty (6-11, 0-4) travels to South Carolina to face Charleston Southern (8-7, 2-2) at 7:30 on Wednesday. Here’s what you need to know about the Buccaneers:
1. They opened the season with a 66-65 overtime win over Ole Miss.
Cedrick Bowen’s dunk with 0.1 seconds left in overtime lifted the Bucs to the win.
2. CSU is 2-2 in conference play.
They are 2-0 at home with wins over Longwood and Campbell, and have lost to the top 2 teams in the conference (Coastal and High Point) with both games played on the road.
3. The Buccaneers are 1-1 against common opponents.
CSU beat Campbell, 74-71, and lost to Coastal, 83-74 in the only 2 games they have played similar opponents as Liberty thus far.
4. Saah Nimley leads CSU in scoring with 16.5 points per game.
He also adds 4.6 rebounds and 4.7 assists per game. Against conference opponents, Nimley is averaging 21 points and 6 assists while playing 38 minutes per game.
5. Will Saunders is the 2nd leader scorer for CSU at 12.3 points per game.
Saunders has scored in double figures in 5 straight games, and is also averaging nearly 6 boards a game.
6. The Buccaneers beat Liberty, 80-66, in their only meeting last season.
The game was played in Charleston, and Sheldon Strickland hit 7 3-pointers and scored a career-high 35 points.
7. Charleston Southern is 7-1 at home this season.
Meanwhile, Liberty is 0-8 away from home.