Here’s the main takeaways from Friday evening’s media availability:
- Inconsistent is still Coach Gill’s buzzword when describing the offense. He says it’s across the board, the quarterbacks, the line, the backs, and the receivers.
- Gill mentioned several guys he felt comfortable with on the defensive line including a starting group of Tolen Avery, Spencer Cook, Jaron Greene, and Juwan Wells. He also mentioned Will Brown as providing some depth at tackle. Of course, Erwin Dessources is injured and is expected to start ahead of Avery when he’s healthy.
- The first person to come to mind for Gill when discussing the safeties was Corbin Jackson who has been moved from the Spur spot to “deep safety.” Gill also mentioned that he was pleased with the other safeties in Solomon McGinty, Alpha Jalloh, and Cam Jackson.
- The team has progressed to practicing in full pads. On Saturday, the team will have somewhat of a scrimmage with live plays and officials.
- There is no timeline on naming a starting quarterback. Gill said if they feel great at the end of the spring they will go ahead and make the decision, but if not they will wait until the fall. Coach Gill and Coach Joe Dailey will sit down and talk about where they stand.
- Coach Gill is hopeful he can finish the spring with a “temporary starting unit.” He said it’s difficult to get a lot of evaluation in only 15 practices, but hopefully he will be comfortable with as many as 30 guys on each side of the ball that can play.
Coach Gill’s full audio comments are below: