Liberty returns home after a 2 game road trip against Winthrop tonight at 7pm. Here’s what you need to know about the game:
1. The Eagles are the hottest team in the conference, having won 7 in a row.
Each of their 7 wins have come by double digits as they have vaulted into a 1st place tie in the Big South at 7-3.
2. This will match the top scoring team against the top scoring defense in the Big South.
Winthrop leads the conference in points per game at 83.2 points per game while the Flames have the best scoring defense holding opponents to 66 points per game.
3. Winthrop handed the Flames its worst conference loss on January 16th.
The 16 point setback is Liberty’s worst since falling by 17 at Notre Dame on December 30th.
4. Apparently, Liberty’s packline defense looks “just like practice” to Winthrop’s players.
That’s what Xavier Cooks and Josh Davenport said following the Flames’ loss to Winthrop a few weeks ago.
5. Winthrop is riding a 9 game winning streak against the Flames.
Liberty hasn’t beaten the Eagles since December 2010.
The Flames shot just 30% on January 16th. LU is shooting 43% during their current 4-game win streak.
7. Winthrop has 2 of the top 5 scorers in the Big South.
Keon Johnson ranks 3rd (19.8) and Jimmy Gavin ranks 5th (17.3).