Liberty loses to Winthrop 66-56 to fall to 3-6 in conference play. Here is what we learned:
- Until the Flames prove they can win on the road, we have to just assume they will lose. Liberty is 1-11 in games played away from the Vines Center. The only win was stolen away from 8-13 Western Carolina in the final seconds.
- At times, like against Campbell, JCS is a very good player. Other times, like against Winthrop, he becomes a liability.
- Liberty wasted nearly a perfect evening from the free throw line going 15/16 compared to just 7/12 by Winthrop.
- The Flames are now 6-22 against Winthrop since 2000, and have not won at Winthrop Coliseum since 2004.
- Liberty shot just 34% from the field and 15% from 3.
- Tavares Speaks paced the Flames in scoring with 15 points. Speaks has scored in double figures in 12 straight games.
- Liberty with very little production off the bench – 7 points, 7 rebounds.
- JR Coronado continues to be a rebounding machine as he had 13.
- Liberty lost a critical opportunity to sneak back into the North Division race; now the Flames will fight to stay out of 5th place in the 6 team division. Fortunately, there’s 0-9 Longwood staying firm in the cellar.
Liberty returns to the Vines Center to face Radford on Tuesday night at 7pm.