The Liberty football team has finished the first work week of training camp, with 4 practices in the books. Here are some of the main notes and quotes from today’s media availability:
- We continue to work through our position previews. Hopefully, you caught our first preview as we looked at the special teams. This weekend we will publish our preview of the tight ends and fullbacks, and the early part of next week we move on to running backs. So, stay tuned.
- On Saturday, the Flames will have their first practice in full pads, and will even have a small scrimmage for the first time during training camp. Throughout camp, Sunday will be the team’s mandatory day off. Next week, the team will go 3 straight days (Monday – Wednesday) in full pads.
- Coach Gill highlighted safety Rion Davis and defensive ends Juwan Wells and Dia’Vante Brown as the guys who have stood out so far on the defensive side of the ball for the defense.
- On offense, Gill said running backs Frankie Hickson and JUCO transfer Kentory Matthews have looked good early on during camp.
- You may have noticed in our photo galleries from camp, a red pad on top of the football helmets. The official name for the pads are Guardian Caps which are designed to provide more protection for hits to the head. Gill says the team will continue to use them throughout training camp with the exception of the scrimmages.
- On the injury front, Coach Gill says the team is holding up well so far. The only injury he mentioned was to offensive lineman Ernst Anderson who “re-aggravated a knee” according to Gill. Anderson is a redshirt-sophomore who has been injured off and on throughout his time at Liberty. The native of Norway missed all of 2016 due to a medical injury after redshirting in 2015.