A few thoughts following Liberty’s 73-62 loss to Appalachian State to open the Challenge in Music City:
- It was an ugly game, there was a total of 54 fouls called on the two teams combined. Liberty was called for 32 themselves while Appalachian State attempted 36 free throws. With the Flames underhanded this season, any time a Division I opponent outscores LU by 17 points at the free throw line, as the Mountaineers did today, it will be incredibly difficult for Liberty to win.
- Ryan Kemrite had just 2 points on 1/10 shooting. No way Liberty wins a game against a Division I team with that kind of output from him this season.
- A.C. Reid wasn’t much better. He scored 6 points, all in the 1st half. Reid attempted just 1 shot in the 2nd half. He has to be more aggressive.
- Evan Maxwell rebounded with a solid performance in the 2nd half after playing just 5 minutes in the first half due to foul trouble. Maxwell had 0 points and 1 rebound in the first stanza, and finished with 8 points and 3 rebounds.
- Lovell Cabbil and Anthony Fields led the Flames in scoring as the starting guards each had 15 points. Cabbil was 3/4 from 3-point range while Fields was 5/12 from the field.
- Liberty gets another shot at it on Friday as they face Western Michigan at 3:30.