A few quick-hit notes following Liberty’s home opening win against Morehead State, 58-17:
- No need to worry about a letdown as the Flames wasted little time jumping to a big lead over the Eagles. Liberty scored a touchdown just 3 plays and 73 seconds into the game to take a 7-0 lead. After the defense forced a quick 3 & out and 3 more plays from the offense, and it was quickly 14-0. A Jaylyn McKinney interception on Morehead State’s next drive set up a 33 yard field goal by Alex Probert to make it 17-0 midway through the first quarter and the route was on.
- We found out about an hour before kickoff that BJ Farrow would play against Morehead State after missing the Baylor game due to “eligibility concerns.” Well, BJ had a career night. In the first half alone, he set a career high in receiving yards and touchdowns as he had 177 yards and 3 touchdowns.
- With the win, Liberty moves to 2-0 on the start of the season for the first time since 2010. That season, Liberty also defeated an FBS team in Ball State. The last time the Flames were 3-0 to start a season was in 2008 when Liberty started 6-0 before finishing 10-2 on a team led by Rashad Jennings.
- Liberty has now won 14 of the last 15 home openers including 5 straight. The last 5 home openers have come by an average margin of 32.6 points per game.
- Buckshot continued to sling the ball around the field. After setting program records with 44 completions on 60 pass attempts for 447 yards, he followed that performance with 13-of-21 passing for 281 yards and 5 touchdowns. He’s now 57-of-81 passing for 728 yards, 8 touchdowns and no interceptions on the season.
- Antonio Gandy-Golden, who had a record outing at Baylor, only had 1 reception for 10 yards and a touchdown. He did not play in the final 3 quarters of the game. He apparently was dealing with discomfort in his back some this week. No word yet as to if that was why he was limited.
- Damian King also had a career night as he caught 3 passes for a career-high 86 yards and he also added 1 touchdown.
- Kentory Matthews had an impressive game, going over the century mark with 103 yards and 2 touchdowns on 13 carries. Matthews had just two 100 rushing yard games in JUCO football a season ago.
- If you want a negative, it was the penalties. The Flames finished the game with 6 penalties for 85 yards, many of them of the personal foul variety. Liberty did finish the 2nd half without a penalty.