Just a few quick hit notes from the weekly coach’s call-in show if you were unable to listen to it. Head men’s basketball coach Dale Layer, and head women’s basketball coach Carey Green joined Turner Gill on the call.
- “(We) are tired of playing against each other.”
- “If we stay healthy we’ll be deeper” than last year.
- “I like this team, I like these guys.”
- On Davon Marshall – “He had a really good fall, but he’s not Jesse. He is more like a prototypical PG (than Jesse).”
- “I think we’re going to be a really good team.”
- When asked to describe this year’s team – “Balance, balance, balance”
- “I’m falling in love with this team.”
- “Our goal is to advance in (the NCAA) tourney, we will be dissatisfied if we don’t.”
- Easiest way to determine who will win Saturday’s game? “Who’s getting knocked back, that’s who’s being the most physical team.”
- “We need 2 or 3 people around the ball tackling.”
- “We have a great gameplan.”
- Defensive secondary “needs to play great man to man coverage.”
- On Stony Brook’s defense – “they don’t blitz a lot and our similar to our defense.”
- “Our guys are excited.”
- “We must win the turnover margin.” Stated we need to force 2+ turnovers and give up 0.