Liberty improved to 4-0 on the season with a 38-6 win at FIU on Saturday. Now, the Flames have a week off before switching to a midweek calendar for the month of October, beginning Sept. 5 against Sam Houston.
Several outlets have updated their bowl projections and we have assembled those projections for where Liberty is being pegged.
- Mark Schlabach (ESPN): Bahamas Bowl vs Eastern Michigan (2-2)
- Kyle Bonagura (ESPN): Bahamas Bowl vs Toledo (3-1)
- Jerry Palm (CBS Sports): New Orleans Bowl vs Appalachian State (2-2)
- College Football News: 68 Ventures Bowl (Mobile, AL) vs Georgia State (4-0)
- Brad Crawford (247Sports): Myrtle Beach Bowl vs Coastal Carolina (2-2)
- Brett McMurphy (Action Network): Myrtle Beach Bowl vs Coastal Carolina (2-2)
- Steve Lassan (Athlon Sports): New Orleans Bowl vs Troy (2-2)
- Erick Smith (USA Today): New Orleans Bowl vs Georgia State (4-0)
Having transitioned to Conference USA this summer, there is a new set of bowl tie-ins CUSA has and the Flames will be eligible for.
First off, the Conference USA champion will be in the mix for the Fiesta, Cotton, or Chik-fil-A Peach Bowl if it is the highest ranked Group of Five champion and if it’s not in the College Football Playoff. For the rest of the bowls, CUSA doesn’t have a true pecking order of bowl picks. Instead, the bowls are picked based off a number of factors including geography and best possible matchups.
Here are the bowls where Conference USA has a primary selection:
Nassau, Bahamas vs MAC
Armed Forces Bowl
Fort Worth, Texas vs American
New Orleans Bowl
New Orleans, Louisiana vs Sun Belt
New Mexico Bowl
Albuquerque, New Mexico vs Mountain West
Shreveport, Louisiana vs TBD
If CUSA has additional bowl eligible teams, there are also a number of bowls where CUSA teams can be selected as a secondary team:
Boca Raton Bowl
Under first year head coach Jamey Chadwell, Liberty will be looking to make a fifth consecutive bowl appearance. The Flames have reached a bowl game in each of the four seasons of full FBS eligibility. Liberty is 3-1 in previous bowl games.