Liberty returns home to take on Campbell who is 2-0 in the conference. Can the Flames hand the Camels their first conference loss? Find out in our Campbell Primer.
1. Team introduction. The Camels come into the game with a record of 8-9 overall and 2-0 in conference following their wins over High Point and Longwood. Campbell closed the game against the Lancers on a 25-7 run to defeat Longwood 75-67. They trailed 60-50 with less than 7 minutes to play prior to their run. The Flames swept the 2 game season series a year ago, and have won 3 of 4 since the Camels returned to the Big South. Campbell leads the all-time series 11-10, but has not beaten Liberty in Lynchburg since the teams’ very first meeting on January 5, 1976. Campbell is led by first year head coach Kevin McGeehan.
2. Offense. Only VMI and Charleston Southern attempt more 3-pointers per game in the Big South than Campbell. The Camels make just 8 of their 24 3’s they attempt per game under 1st year head coach Kevin McGeehan. The Camels only score 68 points per game, which ranks 10th in the league. Darius Leonard and Reco McCarter lead Campbell in scoring as both forwards are scoring just over 11 points per game.
3. Defense. The Camels are allowing their opponents to score 69 points a game which ranks them 5th in the conference in scoring defense. Campbell ranks near the bottom of the league in field goal percentage defense as their opponents are shooting over 46% from the field this season.
4. Player turnover. The Camels lost 3 double figure scorers from a year ago in Darren White, Trey Freeman and Darian Hooker. White led the team with 21.8 points and 7.2 rebounds per game. Freeman was named 2nd team all-conference following his 14.3 points and 5.8 assists last season, but transferred to Old Dominion following the season. Darian Hooker averaged 10.2 points per game a season ago.
5. Possible starters. A look at the likely starting line-up for the Camels who have had the same starting line-up all season…
Guard: Quinton Ray (#5) – 6’1” 180 pound Freshman – is averaging 3.6 points and 3.3 assists per game.
Guard: Andrew Ryan (#20) – 6’5″ 200 pound R-Junior – is averaging 9.8 points and 4.5 rebounds per game while leading the team in 3-point shooting with 34 made 3’s.
Forward: Reco McCarter (#25) – 6’6″ 195 pound R-Junior – is averaging 11 points and 4.2 rebounds per game in his 2nd season at Campbell after transferring from VCU. McCarter is coming off a 23 point and 8 rebound performance against Longwood, and has been named the Big South player of the week each of the last 2 weeks.
Forward: Leek Leek (#10) – 6’6″ 215 pound Senior – is averaging 5.1 points per game.
Forward: Darius Leonard (#22) – 6’9″ 225 pound R-Junior – leads the team in scoring at 11.4 points per game. The transfer from Kent State also leads the team with 5.9 rebounds per game.
6. Key reserves. Some other key contributors…
Guard: Luke Moyer (#1) – 6’0” 170 pound Sophomore – is averaging 4.6 points per game and shooting 47.4% from 3.
Guard: Kyre’ Hamer (#24) – 6’3” 195 pound Freshman – is averaging 6.1 points per game.
Forward: Antwon Oliver (#0) – 6’6” 185 pound R-Senior – is averaging 5 points and 2.3 rebounds per game.
Forward: D.J. Mason (#35) – 6’6″ 215 pound Sophomore – is averaging 9.9 points and 4.2 rebounds per game. He has sat out the last 2 games due to suspension.
7. Prediction. Despite their 2-0 start to league play, the Camels are one of the worst teams in the Big South. Unless McCarter, who is averaging over 21 points per game in his last 4 outings, catches fire, the Flames should win this one comfortably. Liberty 75 Campbell 66