A few news & notes on the Liberty basketball season following the 83-66 home loss to VMI:
- Liberty now has 20 losses on the season for the first time since Randy Dunton was head coach when the Flames went 7-23 in 2005-06. Liberty now has 7 seasons with 20+ losses in the 41 year history of the program, 4 of which have come in the past 15 seasons.
- The 17 point loss is the worst home loss this season. It is the worst conference home loss since February 4, 2010 when Liberty lost to Winthrop 67-43.
- John Caleb Sanders, Liberty’s active scoring leader, now has 908 career points. This leaves the junior guard just 92 points shy of joining the 22 member 1,000 point scorers in the history of the program.
- Sanders is averaging 20.7 points per game in his past 7 games.
- Andrew Smith had an under-the-radar solid night against VMI with 9 points and 8 rebounds.
- In Liberty’s last 3 losses, Tomasz Gielo has a total of 2 points on 0/10 shooting.
- The Flames are now 5-10 in conference. The most conference losses in a season since the famed 2005-06 season when Liberty finished 3-13.
- Since joining the Big South in 1991, Liberty has finished with 10 or more conference losses 5 times including this season. 3 of the 5 10+ conference loss seasons came under former head coach Mel Hankinson in 1998-99, 1999-00, & 2001-02.
- Liberty’s RPI is currently #329 out of 347 Division I teams.