Riding a 10 game losing streak, Liberty is in South Bend to face Notre Dame. Here’s what you need to know about the Irish:
1. Notre Dame is off to an 8-3 start.
Their losses came to Monmouth, Alabama, and Indiana. Their best win came on November 27th against Iowa.
2. The Irish had one of their best seasons a year ago, advancing to the Elite 8.
They won the ACC Tournament Championship and narrowly missed defeating undefeated Kentucky to advance to the Final 4.
3. Zach Auguste ranks in the top 30 in the country in rebounds.
The 6’10” senior is averaging 10.1 rebounds and a team-leading 1.3 blocks per game. He’s also 2nd on the team in scoring at 14.4 points per game. He has recorded a double-double in 7 games.
4. Demetrius Jackson leads the team in scoring and assists.
The 6’1″ junior guard is averaging 16.9 points and 5 assists per game. He’s scored over 20 points in 4 of his 11 games this season.
5. Mike Brey is in his 16th season as head coach at Notre Dame.
He is 338-167 overall with the Fighting Irish and has won 20 or more games in 11 of his 16 seasons.
6. The Flames are 0-2 all-time against the Irish.
Both losses came under former head coach Dale Layer. Liberty lost 91-72 on November 22nd, 2009 and 72-51 on November 14th, 2010. Both games were played in South Bend.
The Irish joined the ACC a couple seasons ago, but they have been unable to defeat the Cavaliers since joining the league. Virginia hosts the Irish on January 2nd.