Liberty (6-10, 0-3) hopes to get off the conference snide by picking up its first win in league play as it hosts Coastal Carolina (12-3, 3-0) at 7pm on Saturday. Here’s what you need to know about the Chanticleers:
1. Coastal is off to one of their best starts in school history and has an RPI of 100.
They own a win over SEC member Auburn from December 5th. Their losses came against UCLA, Chattanooga, and Ole Miss.
2. The Chanticleers have started conference play 3-0.
CCU has won at High Point, and at home against Charleston Southern and Longwood.
3. They are shooting over 50% from the field in their first 3 conference games.
The only game they didn’t shoot better than 50% in was their last game out against Longwood on Thursday night when they shot 46.3%.
4. Josh Cameron leads the team in scoring (13.9).
He ranks 8th in the conference in points per game and scored 13 points against Liberty last season.
5. Warren Gillis is 2nd on the team in scoring (12.1).
He had a game-high 18 points against Liberty a year ago.
6. The Flames lost to Coastal, 66-64, in the team’s only meeting last season.
The game was played in Conway. Liberty had 4 players score in double figures led by Antwan Burrus’ 15 points. Drew Smith had 11 and Tomasz Gielo had 10.
7. Dale Layer is 3-6 against Coastal in his 6 years at Liberty.
Layer’s teams are 2-2 against the Chanticleers in Lynchburg.