Liberty will kickoff the 2022 season against Southern Miss in 46 days as the Flames are looking to make a fourth straight bowl appearance.
Hugh Freeze enters his fourth season as Liberty’s head coach and will have to replace several key contributors to the team over the past couple of years including quarterback Malik Willis. This leads to many questions surrounding the program and fall camp will provide insight into many of these when it gets underway.
Here are our 46 questions for Liberty football entering the 2022 season.
1. Who will replace Malik Willis and be Liberty’s starting quarterback this season?
2. Can Utah/Baylor transfer quarterback Charlie Brewer return to his glory days when he was leading Baylor to the Sugar Bowl?
3. Has Johnathan Bennett finally earned the right to lead the team at quarterback?
4. Is Kaidon Salter ready to make an impact on the field?
5. Can Hawaii transfer running back Dae Dae Hunter live up to his preseason hype?
6. How does receiver Caleb Snead fit into the offense?
7. How will CJ Yarbrough adapt to being back on the team?
8. How will having co-defensive coordinators in Josh Aldridge and Jack Curtis impact the team and the defense?
9. Will the offensive line be improved in 2022?
10. Can Brayden Beck solidify himself as Liberty’s kicker?
11. Will UNC transfer kicker Teagen Lenderink get an opportunity?
12. Can Durrell Johnson get back to his 2020 performance?
13. Will the Flames use another running back by committee approach this season or will one of the running backs step forward?
14. Will we see any new uniforms this season?
15. Can Demario Douglas be even better than he was in 2021?
16. Is there enough depth at wide receiver?
17. How will the offensive line transfers fit in?
18. How will the new assistant coaches fit in with the team and coaching staff?
19. Who will lead Liberty in sacks?
20. How good can this defensive line be?
21. How will JUCO transfer Mike Smith, Jr. factor in at linebacker this season?
22. Can defensive end TreShaun Clark take the next step?
23. How long will CJ Daniels be out until he is able to return from his torn ACL suffered early in spring practice?
24. How will Aakil Washington adjust to being at linebacker?
25. Can Ahmad Walker take the next step in his development following his true freshman season?
26. Will Daijahn Anthony develop into the team’s next shutdown corner?
27. How will the depth at corner behind Anthony and Chris Megginson develop?
28. Can Quinton Reese develop into one of the defense’s next leaders?
29. How many all-purpose yards will Shedro Louis finish with?
30. Will there be a sellout crowd at Williams Stadium this year?
31. How many Virginia Tech fans will pack into the Bill when the Hokies come to town?
32. How will Indiana transfer Maurice Freeman fit in with his new team?
33. How many one score games will Liberty have this season?
34. Will Liberty be able to knock off one (or more) of the Power Five schools on the schedule this season?
35. How many top 25 teams will Liberty face this year?
36. Which opponent will be the best Liberty plays this season?
37. How many true freshman will burn their redshirt?
38. Can Javon Scruggs lead the team in tackles?
39. How many different quarterbacks will start a game this season?
40. Will Aidan Alves or Max Morgan be the starting punter?
41. Will Khristian Zachary make a bigger impact this season?
42. How many ankles (defenders) does Demario Douglas break this year?
43. Who will develop into Liberty’s next draft pick?
44. How will the final season of being an Independent be remembered?
45. Can the Flames win eight games again this season?
46. Where should we be planning to visit during bowl season?