Liberty is in Cancun, Mexico this week to participate in the 2022 Cancun Challenge. The Flames will take part in the four-team Riviera Division where all four games will be televised on CBS Sports Network with the games played at Hard Rock Hotel Rivera Maya.
The Flames will open the week against Northwestern on Tuesday evening at approximately 8:30 p.m. and then will play either Bradley or Auburn on Wednesday evening.
Previous tournament champions of the Cancun Challenge include Saint Louis (2021), Clemson (2020, Space Coast Classic), West Virginia (2019), Bradley (2018), Louisiana Tech (2017), Purdue (2016), Maryland (2015), Northern Iowa (2014), Wisconsin (2013), Wichita State (2012), Illinois (2011), Missouri (2010), Kentucky (2009), and Vanderbilt (2008).
Here’s a quick preview on each of the teams competing in this year’s Cancun Challenge this week. Rankings are from KenPom.
#99 LIBERTY (2-2)
- Liberty saw their three straight ASUN regular season and tournament titles come to an end last season, but two-time ASUN Player of the Year Darius McGhee is back for his Super Senior campaign and hoping to lead the Flames back to the Big Dance.
- Wins: Regent, North Carolina Central
- Losses: Alabama, Southern Miss
#58 NORTHWESTERN (4-0)
- 10th year head coach Chris Collins is hoping to end a streak of 5 straight losing seasons and get back to the NCAA Tournament like they did so last in 2017.
- Wins: Chicago State, Northern Illinois, Georgetown, Purdue Fort-Wayne
- Losses: N/A
#18 AUBURN (4-0)
- Under Bruce Pearl, Auburn has become a top 25 program. The Tigers were 28-6 last season but were upset in the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament. Auburn advanced to the Final Four in 2019.
- Wins: George Mason, South Florida, Winthrop, Texas Southern
- Losses: N/A
#122 BRADLEY (3-1)
- Bradley is expected to be one of the top teams competing in the ultra-competitive Missouri Valley. They won the conference tournament in both 2019 and 2020.
- Wins: Wisconsin Parkside, Eastern Michigan, Southeast Missouri State
- Losses: Utah State
Click here for a printable bracket