Liberty (1-1) hits the road for the first time this season as the Flames face #6 Indiana (2-0) tonight at 7pm.
1. This will be Liberty’s 6th ever meeting against a top 10 opponent.
It’s the first such match-up since January 2, 2007, when the Flames lost to #3 Florida, 89-58. Liberty is 0-5 in their previous meetings against top 10 teams with the closest margin being 16 in a 107-91 loss to Arizona on December 28, 2003.
2. The Flames and Hoosiers are meeting for the first time.
Liberty is 0-3 against Big Ten opponents, with the last meeting being a 69-53 loss at Northwestern on November 24, 2009.
3. Indiana is 2-0 on the season with a win over #2 Kansas and UMass Lowell.
The Hoosiers knocked off the Jayhawks in Honolulu, Hawaii, 103-99, in overtime to open the season. On Wednesday, they defeated UMass Lowell, 100-78.
4. James Blackmon, Jr. leads the way for the Hoosiers, averaging 24.5 points per game.
The 6’4″ junior guard is shooting over 55% from the field and 52% from 3 point range while adding 6.5 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game.
5. Sophomore OG Anunoby was tabbed as a Preseason All-American by the Sporting News.
The 6’8″ forward is averaging 14 points and 5.5 rebounds per game while shooting 55.6% from the field and 36.4% from 3-point range so far this season.
6. 6’10” center Thomas Bryant was selected as a Preseason All-American by two different publications.
Bryant is averaging 14 points and 7.5 rebounds through the Hoosiers’ first two games.
7. Robert Johnson rounds out the Indiana double figure scorers this season, averaging 13 points per game.
Johnson is a 6’3″ guard from Richmond, Virginia where he attended Benedictine.
Caleb Homesley – “I think that this week, the rest of this week, we’ve got to prepare really good. We’ve got to pay attention to the details and knowing that we’ve got to go into Indiana and compete.”
A.C. Reid – “This team is going to compete. That’s one of the best things about this team. We’re going to compete with anybody. We’re going to go into Indiana on Saturday, and we’re going to compete. So, you know you’re going to get that from us every night. Now, we’ve got to bring on the execution with it.”
Coach McKay – “I say this to our guys all the time, ‘lets make someone beat us and not Liberty beating Liberty.’ I think that happened (against VCU). So, as long as we gave our very best, and played the right way, then I’ll lay my head on the pillow and hopefully sleep well. Well, I won’t sleep well because Indiana is coming on Saturday.”