Rapid reactions following Liberty’s win over Delaware:
- With the win, Liberty improves to 2-0 to start the season for the first time since the 1999-2000 season. Not bad.
- David Andoh and AC Reid have provided tremendous energy off the bench in each of the first 2 games. Andoh is a very similar player to Drew Smith with a better jumpshot. It will be interesting to see how their minutes are distributed as the season progresses. Andoh finished with 9 points, 5 boards, and 3 blocks. He also knocked down a huge shot with just over a minute to play to give the Flames the lead they would not relinquish. Reid is a green light shooter with great length.
- Senior captain Tomasz Gielo has just been at a different level through the first 2 games of the season. Not just with his production, but his energy has helped spark the Flames at times. He finished the game with a career high 23 points and 10 boards.
- Joe Retic had a very productive game, finishing with 11 points, 5 boards and 4 assists in 36 minutes.
- Drew Smith has struggled offensively the first two games even missing 2 dunks. He was just 1/6 from the field against Delaware, but did grab 6 rebounds and had a huge block at the end of the game to seal the win. No reason he shouldn’t be able to pick up his offensive production as we get deeper in the season.
- Crazy to think Liberty got outrebounded 47-37 and 23-10 on the offensive glass, but still won the game. There were numerous times the Blue Hens had 3 or 4 shots at the basket until they made it. The Flames must improve their rebounding if they want to see any sustained success this year.
- After playing 13 guys pretty even minutes in the opener against Randolph, Layer tightened his bench some tonight. Only 7 players played double digit minutes with the 5 starters and Andoh and Reid off the bench.
- The Flames’ next test comes Wednesday night in Blacksburg against the Hokies of Virginia Tech.